Thursday, June 23, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 108, June 11

Coach
Franconia Notch Visitor Center - Garfield Ridge Shelter: 10.0mi
This day was by far the hardest one we have had. It began with a resupply, which combined with our cold weather gear change made our packs heavier than they have been in a while. Then we had to hike up to the ridgeline and over 2 summits. Although it was only 10 miles, it was a lot of up. I knew were in trouble when it felt difficult to hike up a small incline on a bike path out of the Visitor Center. It only got more difficult after that. The fact that we were hiking through heavy rain meant we were soaked to the bone. The Professor was really cold. I only got really cold once we reached the first summit. After arriving to the summit, we got to hike on an exposed ridgeline for over 2 miles up and over the second summit. On this exposed ridgeline, we got to endure rain and strong winds. Winds with gusts up to 45mph. The wind chill was 28 degrees, according to a weather report we saw from Mt. Washington. Needless to say, it wasn't a very good time. All I could think about was getting to the shelter and to get dry and crawl into my 0 degree sleeping bag that I am very thankful I brought back. Of course, when we got to the shelter, it was pretty packed, since everybody goes for shelter in bad weather in the mountains. The full shelter and bad weather reminded me of the Smokies. We packed in like Sardines. The Professor was next to a group of French Canadians and I was next to a girl who asked me if my foot was "O.K."? after she noticed me cleaning them. I can only take that as a good sign. It was a cold night. Basically, the most positive thing from today is that chances are very strong it can only get better after this day.

Professor
Today went south, so fast I almost had a psychological meltdown. It certainly rates in the top 2 to 3 moments when I seriously thought about quitting. Saving graces:

1. Thoughts of finishing for Lindsay
2. Anne Farra's cookies and bourbon
3. The fact that Coach didn't like the idea of taking a side trail off the ridge and down into the tree line to a parking area
4. Remembering to eat
5. Moving to stay warm
6. Concentrating on blazes so as not to get lost
7. Elijah Craig 18 year from Manager Mike/Hell Hound
8. Remembering all the people who are helping, supporting, and sending their love to us
9. Not having to pay for the shelter

No comments:

Post a Comment