Thursday, June 23, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 105, June 8

Coach
Moose Mountain Shelter - Ore Hill Shelter: 24.8mi
Tough day, the terrain is certainly becoming more difficult. I am glad we are dropping what we need to average a day through the Whites. Ate lunch in a fire tower, which was awesome. Bugs were bad all day and we had to hike into the night. I think the nights would be unbearable without the Bivy sacks, courtsey of Professor's Mother in law, thanks Sherry!

Professor
Hot, hot, thunderstorm, bugs, mileage. Yet another day we are hiking until dark, after dark. We are having a lot of trouble getting on a schedule such that allows us to get to a shelter or campsite early. (when it's light). Ran into a couple of other thru-hikers today. First time in a while. They looked emaciated. I think Coach and I eat better than most.

Swamp, swamp, swamp, hot, hot, hot, bugs, bugs, bugs. Thank god for the Bivy sack or we would never get to sleep, no relief.

A giant beetle got caught in my bug bivy with me. I felt it crawling behind my ear next to my head. I killed it.

The heat is so uncomfortable, the deet we lather on ourselves clogs our pores and makes us feel like we are baking ourselves alive...with a marinade of bug poison.

No comments:

Post a Comment