Thursday, June 23, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 104, June 7

Coach
I-89 underpass - Moose Mountain Shelter (New Hampshire): 20.2 mi
Although it was difficult to leave Brittany and Rockstar, we headed out today for the final push. The next 3 weeks are going to quite a challenge. My ankle did recover from the two days rest, but I know it will continue to be a problem until the end. I am going to try to stay with the Professor as long as I can, but the White Mountains are filling me with doubt. It will be the toughest part of the Trail. Highlight of the day was eating gelato in Hanover, NH, people were watching.

Professor
Today we left the slack packing of Brittany and Rock*. I have a very strong feeling that Coach and I will not be hiking together for much longer. Everytime I hear him grimace in pain behind me, I can't help but picture the profile of the Whites that lay in front of us. It totally bums me out...the idea of having to push ahead and basically leave Coach behind. It makes me feel sad like I'm bailing on him...not to mention I would rather not have to tackle 100 mile wilderness totally alone. We walked directly through Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH. (yeah, we're in New Hampshire). Totally surreal experience walking through a beautiful college campus. The students were everywhere, just getting out of school. It's times like these when I feel like an outcast. I'm starting to get tired of feeling that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment