Tuesday, May 31, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 76, May 10

Coach



Bake Oven Knob Shelter - Campsite: 14.3mi


Today, we said goodbye to Manager Mike. After making a short 3mi hike from the worst shelter we have stayed in, we met Manager Mike for the final time and loaded up for Delaware Water Gap. The Professor's feet are still bothering him and I am sure this rough rocky terrain didn't help him at all. It was a tough day, physically and psychologically. First, we hit a 8 mi gap without water, which started the 2nd part of the day covering exposed rocky terrain that in some parts required us to climb and scramble. We also got to detour around a super fund site. This detour also led us through trek heaven.. a 3 mile stretch where between the Professor and I, we pulled off 32 ticks. Luckily, we cameled up at the last water source. Nothing like pounding a few liters of water back to back. At night we did have a fire, which is always awesome. I am also encouraged that the Professor was talking about hitting our average tomorrow. Just a friendly reminder that rationing water really sucks. We will both have about 1 liter to go 7.5 miles tomorrow morning.


Professor



Last day of slackpacking. Kind of makes me homesick. I miss seeing Hell Hound out front with his big orange doggy pack. It was sad to see Manager Mike off with his U-Haul trailer. Believe it or not, I felt a little nervous about going out unsupported with my feet the way they are right now. Saw a government superfund site: nothing grows and the trees are long dead. Reminds me of how I imagine the setting for Cormac McCarthy's "The Road." Between Coach and I we picked off a total of 32 ticks in a 3 mile stretch. Me: 11 ticks, Coach: 21 ticks.


Lots of crazy murder on your feet rocks today. I will officially say that with the exception of the first 75 miles or so, Pennsylvania has been a very difficult part of the Trail. Almost to NJ; thank goodness (never thought I'd say that).



Hell Hound in front with orange doggy pack:













Enjoying one last treat from Manager Mike:



No comments:

Post a Comment