Tuesday, May 3, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 49

Coach
Niday Shelter - Thunder Hill Shelter: 23.7 mi
Finally caught up to Indiana Jones, Red Man, Samurai, Flying Squirrel and Atlas. We had been behind them for weeks. We got in big mileage and tested our shelter tarp. Side note: the privies in VA are better than those in GA, NC and TN.

Professor
Long day. Over 23 miles. Hiked over one of the largest moutains in VA- Apple Orchard. Air traffic control or some sort of Airforce Radio tower on top. Kind of surreal to hike for so long and in the middle of nowhere on the top of a mountain be confronted with what looks like something out of a sci-fi movie, surrounded by barbed wire.

Pushed myself up one of the hills today. I pushed myself hard. It felt really good at the time. I got to the "top" and felt a little sick like I had over exerted myself. Then I realized we had 3 more peaks to climb before we could descend to the shelter. Of course, the shelter was full. Really tired. Coach and I had to set up our shelter and sleep out. Luckily, it did not rain. Caught up to Flying Squirrel, Samurai, Indiana Jones and Red Man. Only 10 or 12 thru-hikers are in front of us now. We ran into a day hiker "Trail Angel," who hooked us up with strawberry fig newtons, electrolyte gummies, cliff bars, and energy drinks. It helped us finish the final ascent to the top of Apple Orchard Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment