Tuesday, May 3, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 48

Coach
Daleville, VA - Niday Shelter: 18.2 mi
Well, after almost 800miles, I have decided to switch out the footwear. I probably could have gotten some more miles out of my MERRELL boots, but it didn't seem worth the risk of having them break down completely. I am going to miss those boots. Having a nice broken in pair of shoes or boots is very comforting out here; now I have to change them. I'm not really looking forward to breaking in the new MERRELL trail running shoes, but the 18 miles today was a good start. However, I am excited about the shoe after I break them in. It looks and feels durable and I am sure my foot will love their new homes after a few days of settling into their new environment. I also changed out my sleeping bag, a difference of 35 degrees in temperature rating. The bag weighs less than 1 pound. Unfortunately, Mother Nature has decided to make me pay for hoping for Spring and the temperature dropped tonight. Stayed with the group of 4 thru-hikers again. They are a good group of guys and a fair amount of laughter has been had. It is especially nice, since you can run into some weirdos who make you want to put some distance between you and them. I forgot to mention another reason it is good we are hiking with these guys- we lost a section of our map. I think the same mouse that stole the Professor's hydration bladder also stole the map.

Professor
Out of Daleville feeling great. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but I think these Salomon's might be onto something. Coach and I both have new shoes. Kept up a really good pace. Hiked along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Being near the Blue Ridge helped to give a comfort feeling, a reminder that we're not too far from home yet; however, the further I get from the home, the closer I am to returning. Full shelter tonight, all the guys (4) + Dog + Coach and me + 2 section hikers, fit into a 6 person shelter. Spirits were very high today.

No comments:

Post a Comment