Monday, May 23, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 64, April 28

Coach
Campsite in PA - Tumbling Rock Shelter: 7.7 mi
As we very slowly started moving this morning, two older gentlemen came down the trail to do some maintenance. They had just put in the Mason/Dixon line sign. Apparently, they held leadership positions with the Potomic Applachian Trail Club (PATC). These guys do great work. They started asking about our thru-hike and when they found out we were resupplying today, they offered to meet us at the road and gave us a ride into town. Then, they bought us lunch and dropped us back off. After the craziness of the past 30 hours, I can't begin to describe what a difference these guys made in our day. After our resupply, we only hiked 6 miles and decided to rest, since we didn't get much sleep.

Professor
I opened my eyes. Tarp in place, sleeping bag... not too wet, mostly just damp, ants don't seem too interested in me right now... maybe because of the ant graveyard /battlefield above my head. I shut my eyes tightly. Rain patters overhead. I can feel a mist when it gets heavier. Things seem to be not quite so intense at the moment, early gray dawn. Eyes open again. Sun, it's now 10am.

I have dry mouth from dehydration and and from the two airplane bottle size Jack Daniels that Coach had stowed away for us in celebration and for medical reasons after completion of the Maryland Challenge.

Only walked 8 miles today. One of the shortest days of the whole Trail. It feels great to sit and enjoy what a nice shelter has to offer! Tumbling Run Shelter - lacquered wood, clothes line, pavilion, picnic tables.


No comments:

Post a Comment