Wednesday, May 4, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 52

Coach
Cow Camp Gap Shelter - The Priest Shelter: 17.1 mi
Top 5 worst weather day. I hope the Professor can get his chili dog in Waynesboro, VA. A tree crashed down in front of the shelter last night and did not wake us.

Professor
The storm started around midnight last night, very strong winds. A giant tree next to the shelter blew over in the middle of the night. It didn't wake Coach or I but the other two guys shot wide awake, we learned about it this morning. Awoke to rain and wind. Stayed in the shelter a little longer to see if it would let up. It didn't. We were forced to hike regardless. As we hiked, we climbed. As we climbed, the storm got worse... and worse. It was, I think, the heaviest rain we've been in, with easily 40+ mile gusts. Coach and I walked at a 45 degree angle against the wind, rain, thunder and lightning. It hailed on us on several different occasions. As I write this I can literally squeeze the water from my sleeping bag. It rained so hard that my system of keeping my equipment dry totally failed. I am going to wear my rain gear inside my sleeping bag tonight. Hopefully, it has not lost too much repellance value.... snowflakes, dang.

No comments:

Post a Comment