Monday, April 4, 2011

Sneak Peek- Conditions around Mt. Rogers (VA)

Manager Mike spent several days last week assisting Coach and Professor's efforts battling the elements between Damascus and Marion. He would drop them off in the morning where the trail crosses a roadway and pick them up at the end of the day at another crossing, then bring them back to a hotel where they could spend the night out of the weather and get a hot meal. Here is his report:

I've attached a couple of photos that show what the guys have been going through for over a week now. These were taken at one of the drop off points on a mountain pass near Mt Rogers. The first one is of Professor adjusting his protective clothing and gear. The other photo shows the conditions they faced that morning as they stood in front of the car. I took it through the front windshield of the car because I was not properly equipped to step out into this mess which probably would have instantly ruined the camera anyway. First of all we were suspended in a thick cloud that engulfed the higher elevations making it inky dark with a visibility of about 20 feet if your LED headlamp was on and about zero with it turned off. The wind was blowing at about 30-35 MPH and the temperature was around 35 degrees. It was raining and snowing and the wind was swirling. It was like standing in a freezing cold shower with a dozen nozzles showering you from every direction. From the comfort of my car I nervously watched the barely visible glow of their headlamps seek out the white blazes of the A.T. as they ascended a grassy bald called Elk Garden heading for Mt Rogers. In my mind I urged them to veer left up the slope for I had scoped out the path the day before while it was still daylight and knew it went in that direction. Then suddenly the glow of their headlamps vanished and I found myself staring into blackness wondering if striking out under these conditions had been a mistake. Then I put myself in their shoes and when envy pushed my fear aside I felt they would be OK. The second photo captures one of the many realities that hikers face when they take on the totality of what constitutes an A.T. through hike. They hiked 23 miles that day and 12 hours later near day's last light when I saw them pop out of a rain drenched laurel thicket at the planned rendezvous point, I couldn't have been more relieved...or proud. It was thrilling for me to walk with them that first mile in Georgia on February 24th and it was thrilling today to walk in and meet them at mile 549 then back out to the car at 551.6 where I will leave them tomorrow morning once again in the wind and rain and snow.



1 comment:

  1. These are really brutal conditions. I'm glad they got to relax at the Chalet with steak, potatoes and their wonderful friend Hanes!

    ReplyDelete