Thursday, April 7, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 18

Coach Tri Corner Knob Shelter - Standing Bear Farm Hostel: 18.2mi Nice gingerly stroll into the hostel. The Professor's parents met us with a pan of baked ziti. It was awesome. I did find it interesting how territorial we were with the other thru-hikers concerning the food. We definitely asserted dominance like an animal taking our fill before offering it to the others.




Professor Knee deep snow - slush - mud - dry. Finally, we might get to hike in dry boots.


I walked up to Standing Bear with a giant (what felt like a 10lb block) of hot steaming baked ziti and another container of beautiful fresh salad. They other hikers eyeballed with curiosity what gold Coach and I had struck. Bundy said, "What is that?" as he ran up to us. Immediately, Coach and I got in a defensive position as we protected our precious baked ziti. This was "our" trail magic after all. All 10lbs of this hot melty cheese, pasta, sausage, and sauce...How dare they! Coach and I sat down and gobbled and gobbled, and as I was getting full the guilt started setting in, I glanced at Coach, I think he was feeling similar. "Hey 3stoves, Gadget, you guys want to get in on this baked ziti?" As everyone's stomachs were getting full I felt better about our primitive protection instincts over the food...Community is always good, what goes around comes around, all that stuff...plus we got some beers out of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment