Monday, April 11, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 27

Coach

Clyde Smith Shelter - Applehouse Shelter: 20.6mi


This push to Damascus is really starting to take its toll. However, when we hobble into Damascus we are either going to be really prepared for Virginia or crippled for a few days. Our nightly routine is turning into something with assembly line like efficiency. We have also discussed how out here it is really about having the motivation to decrease your misery level when you can. Also, the decision has been made to add CLIFF bars to our supplemental food items. I think we have been subconsciously sabotaging ourselves by drastically increasing the level of difficulty without really thinking about it. Although the hike was over a lot of elevation change, it was beautiful. We did Roan Mountain that still had knee deep ice pack, which was not pleasant. Grassy Knobs reminded me of Scotland. I ate a Big Texas before Roan Mountain. The 460 calories was a nice sugar rush. Stayed in a shelter with a guy we think was squatting...


Professor

Applehouse shelter. Last time I was here was almost 15 years ago. I love this section: balds, 360 degree views... I could see Shining Rock Wilderness on one side and TN on the other. Perfectly at home! However, very painful feet. Can't wait for new shoes in Damascus. By the time I reach Damascus these shoes will have about 600 miles on them. I have to super glue repairs almost every day and the soles are very thin. Water "proofness" is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment