Tuesday, March 15, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 7

Coach
Carter Gap Shelter - Winding Stair Shelter (Franklin, NC): 15.7 mi

Late start 8:30am due to previous couple of days. We had a hot breakfast and took a slower pace to the Zero Day in Franklin, NC. When we arrived in town we were delirious from lack of food and fatigue. Don't know how the KMART run actually happened. We looked like cripples walking around. Much needed rest is in order. For dinner, we hd 50 wings and a sampler platter from a sports bar called Mulligan's. Ron Haven is awesome.

Zero Day Report:
Mileage Covered- 107.5 mi
Days- 6.5
Pace- 16.1 mi/day
Thru-hikers Passed- 14
Thru-hikers Passing- 0

Other Comments:
-20 mile day
-Legs strong enough, feet holding us back
-Learned the importance of foot care

Professor

Coldest morning yet @ Carter Gap. First time I broke all the gear out, first time it got cold enough.
15.5 miles today to Winding Stair Gap where we are being picked up by Ron Haven (ex-thru-hiker) to stay at Haven's Budget Inn.

I really hurt in the feet after today, part psychological, part physical. Zero Day is going to be much needed!!! Coach and I killed 50 Hot wings, an appetizer sampler and a pitcher of beer... perfect sleep aid. I can feel each individual spring in my mattress and somehow it feels comfortable..

Coach and I have decided to wear women's pantyhose. We learned from a thru-hiker that they are the perfect liner sock- lightweight, cheap, dry and wick very fast. They cut down on friction thus cutting down on blisters. At this point, I am willing to try anything to cut blisters out of my daily equation of different pains, even if it means women's pantyhose... sorry everybody.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see your making it northward. I'm a friend of a friend who lives in Bethel, Maine very close to where the AT comes in at Gorham, NH. Contact me concerning when you think you might be getting close--we're right before the Mahoosucs....need I say more??

    Best of luck..Rosemary Bunn, Bethel, Maine
    write_to_rosemary@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete