Wednesday, March 23, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 13

Coach Fontana Gap Shelter - Spence Field Shelter: 16.7 mi This is indescribable. PAIN. Low point for 3.5 miles before Mollie's Ridge Shelter. College kids on Spring Break suck. The Smokies threw the gauntlet. Trail Magic: Old guy with 2 artificial knees gave me a knee wrap that allowed me to keep going. Professor I hurt worse today than I've hurt the entire trek. The shelter is a zoo. Pack of 6 Michigan Spring Breakers, one older fella, Coach, me, 4 or 5 people from KY (Lexington). Unbelievable, somebody had speakers they hooked into an iPod. I'm so tired and hurt I think I might pass out anyway...Food everywhere (no respect for bears). There is a guy named Dan that is very nice though, gave us soup. Earlier today- Coach's knee is bothering him so much I'm worried if he can continue, we almost didn't make it pass Mollie's Ridge. An older guy gave Coach a brace, seems to help him, made it to Spence Field. I'm worried about my feet, they hurt bad today. I'm hobbling and limping. The Spring Breakers are trying to make a fire in the shelter fireplace with live and wet wood. They are smoking us out! I might have to holler at them like an old man with aches and pains trying to sleep.... which is definitely who I feel like right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment