Tuesday, March 15, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 6

Coach
Plumorchard Gap Shelter - Carter Gap Shelter: 19.8 mi.

0500: Wake up & Breakfast (Protein bar with PB) & Pack-up
0615: On Trail
0940: Stop to eat 1st lunch @ Muskrat Creek Shelter (9.3mi) & water stop
1040: On Trail
1340: Stop to eat 2nd lunch @ summit of Standing Indian Mountain (13.8mi) side trail (0.1mi)
1430: On Trail
1730: Arrived at shelter for night, Carter Gap. Total miles for the day 20.0 mi.

*Best mileage day yet.
Thru-hikers met: J.C. (English guy), ate lunch with StormSong and TreeBeard

Today, we basically put into motion the strategy we discussed last night. We also entered North Carolina and grounded out 20 miles on tough terrain.

Professor

TreeBeard & StormSong (supportive wife at home like me!)- It's uncanny how much of a similar situation they have to Coach and I. I wouldn't be suprised if we leapfrog with them for a little while.

J.C.- an older Englishman in his 60s hiking it very slowly from shelter to shelter. He averages 6-8 miles a day and is planning on finishing before Mt. Katahdin closes for the season in October. Seems like a really nice guy and I'm sorry that we won't be hiking much more with him.

I like the dynamic of the Group in the shelter tonight. Everybody is really chill, good @ conversation and positive about the future.

Common topics of conversation amongst thru-hikers so far:
1. Pack weight and how to decrease
2. FOOD
3. Mileage hiked
4. Weather
5. Gear
6. Boots, trail shoes, footwear
7. Feet
8. Future food consumption

We hiked 20 miles today; it was difficult but for the most part my body felt strong. My feet definitely hurt by the last 5 miles or so. We ate a lot to keep fueled (probably 3,000 calories or more). Sleeping at Carter Gap Shelter tonight. Getting colder in higher elevation, oh yeah, WE CROSSED INTO NC!!!! Goodbye GA! I can already tell a difference changing with ecosystems. I feel like I'm getting closer to the Smokies, closer to my childhood home. It smells familiar. I'm really excited to do this part of the trail again. It brings back a lot of nostalgia from childhood...

No comments:

Post a Comment