Tuesday, March 15, 2011

From the Journals: DAY 5

Coach

Tray Mountain Shelter - Plumorchard Gap Shelter: 15.5 mi.
Thru-hikers: Hawk/Joker, Treebeard/Storm Song, Sensi/Face

Got an early start (5:15am). Hiked until just after 11:00am. Lunch was sort of a flop on the ground, we were so tired we were delirious. We pushed on to the shelter and avoided the thunderstorms. We overtook quite a few thru-hikers our number is now up to 14 with tomorrow getting in another 6. We are kicking 20 yr old's asses.

Staying at shelter with 6 thru-hikers. They provide motivation to go for a 20 miler tomorrow. The Professor and I have discussed and agree all signs point to doing it. Plus, the strategy session makes the hike seem very do-able. Early start will kick it off at hopefully before 6:00am. Hopefully, will catch Treebeard and Storm Song.

Professor
WHERE IT HURTS:
We woke up @ 4:15 today on trail by 5:15. We were worried about the rain so we hiked 15.5 miles to Plumorchard Gap Shelter, hoping to beat the thunderstorm we heard was supposed to happen. It did eventually, early spring flash, we had already been there for several hours... It's hard to concentrate right now because we are in a shelter with an entire group of kids that make me feel like I'm about to turn 30. I wonder if I'll get any sleep tonight.

We met these guys earlier today that I think are going to be a couple days ahead of us named Stormsong and Treebeard that I think are a little more our style. I think we'll catch up to them here in the next couple of weeks.

I can tell I am getting stronger but not without paying the price of every "break-in" period of a thru-hiker.

Did I mention that Coach and I experienced "trail magic" for the first time? As we saw the blue and gray coolers we started laughing... to tears. Coach had a bearclaw and a Fanta. I had a Mrs. Field's Macadamia Nut white chocolate cookie and a Fanta. After, I felt like I had a rocket propelled backpack going up the next mountain from the sugar high!

NIGHT 5: Coyote tonight, storm over, many, many stars, coyotes are talking to each other on the hilltops.

No comments:

Post a Comment