Thursday, February 17, 2011

17 Miles...30 pound pack

On Sunday February the 6th I went for another Knobstone Trail hike. I felt pretty strong, and I was determined to live up to my sixteen mile challenge from the previous week. The day started out cold with the sun just peeking over the hilltops. There was a half-inch dusting of fresh snow on the ground and immediately I noticed I was not the first to be scurrying about in the southern indiana Knobs this winter morning. There were fresh animal tracks all over the place! It was actually really fun to try tell them apart and guess what was what. I kind of started becoming obsessed with taking pictures of all of them, so because of that, I will share them with you...


















Less than two miles into the hike two hunting dogs came charging down the trail hot on the tracks of some woodland creature. They hesitated only for a split second when they saw me (just long enough to determine my threat level I guess) before they continued on their hunt. Here are the tracks I followed for the next two to three miles or so...





If you look closely, you can see the dog tracks next to (what appears to be) turkey tracks...Has anybody ever heard a dog kill a turkey? When you're alone in the woods, and your mind and senses are already on high alert and wandering into potential survival situations...disconcerting becomes a light term to describe how the sound makes you feel. I did my best not to think of what the details of that graphic scene must have been and pressed on, wondering what it feels like to be preyed upon. I have a feeling the Appalachian Trail will humble me.



Around noon or one o'clock the weather started warming up and the trail turned into a muddy disaster! I swear I was hiking with five pound weights on my feet. I was really glad to have my eVent gators and regardless of the muck, my Keens held up well. My feet stayed dry and no mud in my socks!











Halfway through my trek, on the shady side of a knob, I saw these tracks...



Deer....











Then I saw this warning right on the trail... I decided it would be best to turn around and 300 yards later, almost as if on cue, I heard 4 rifle shots... thanks for the sign guys...














It was a good day of training out in the Southern Indiana Knobs and probably my last before Coach and I leave for the AT. I am grateful for learning about the Knobstone Trail. It has proven to be beautiful and quite a challenge, a good precursor to the AT. I hope to return here for future hiking and camping trips, although, I will pay a bit closer attention to deer season.

No comments:

Post a Comment